Monday, April 30, 2012

DAY 278: THE ETHICAL PURSE


     I’d admired my friend’s shiny gold Michael Kors satchel bag for months.  So when I saw the smaller version of that bag in the nickel color at T.J. Maxx this past weekend, I bought it.  Well “bought” is an interesting word to describe my experience.  
     I shopped the store for a while finding more and more items.  When I finally lugged three pairs of shoes, a pair of pajamas and the purse to the checkout counter I’d created a small mountain of goods between me and the checkout person.  He rung up my purchases and I gave him my credit card.  Normal transaction, right?  Wrong.  When I checked my receipt later I noticed that he didn’t charge me for the purse.  He’d removed the security sensor from it, but he forgot (I presume) to ring it up.  I’d left there with a free bag! 
     It wasn’t that much of an ethical dilemma.  I knew I had to go back there and pay for it, even though I really didn’t want to.  Of course I wanted to keep it without being charged for it, but that was wrong.  When I went back the next day, my unpaid for purse in tow, I asked for the store’s manager.  I explained the situation to her and she couldn’t believe I had brought back the purse and wanted to pay for it.  Come again?   She was flabbergasted that I didn’t take the purse and run.  She told me I was “the nicest person” and that “good karma would be coming my way.”  At least I’ll be using a really cool purse when that karma finally gets here…    

No comments:

Post a Comment