Monday, August 29, 2011

DAY 33: THEY DON'T MAKE THEM LIKE THEY USED TO

     I just had the pleasure of hearing Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg speak.  Wow!  She was amazing.  She spoke so well and the small excerpts of her writing that she read were incredible.  Such a class act too.  Plus, she's from Brooklyn, where my mom was born, so hearing her voice was like hearing my mom or grandma speak.  A little surreal and a lot heartwarming.
     The Justice spoke about how things are so bipartisan now and how she probably would never have made it past Senate confirmation hearings if she'd been appointed in the current political atmosphere because of her ACLU connections.  It was disappointing to hear that--whatever your political leanings are...
     It felt good to be the same room as such an accomplished woman.  She is 77 years old and still goes to work everyday.  I better forget my dreams of early retirement.

No comments:

Post a Comment